Alongside a talent in filmmaking, the famous Francis Ford Coppola has turned a penchant for winemaking into a successful business. For big and bold flavours, look no further than his Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Ivory Label Cabernet Sauvignon, a full and dry wine with deep anise, chocolate and dark berry notes (cassis, blackberries and cherries). A perfect compliment to this crunchy smoked beet sandwich! Packed full of earthy and sweet beets with a smoked whipped feta and herbed sauce, you’ll be wanting seconds guaranteed.
A big thank you to Noble Estates for providing a selection of summery wines to work on wine pairings with! Stay tuned to find the next recipes featuring carefully selected wines!
- 4 medium sized beets
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash beets and place on baking tray.
- Bake for 40-50 min or until fork tender.
- Place in bowl and cover for 15-30 min.
- Remove skin from beets (you may want to use gloves).
- Slice into 2-3mm slices or desired thickness.
- 1/4 cup packed coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano (or replace 1/4 cup of fresh parsley with fresh oregano)
- 1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients and season.
*You can substitute the oregano or coriander for mint if preferred.
Smoked Whipped feta
- 1/4 cup yoghurt (50g)
- 1/2-1 cup or 160g smoked feta (alternatively you can smoke this at home! I used mesquite smoking chips)
- Place yoghurt and half of feta in blender and process until smooth (approx. 2 min).
- Add remaining feta and process until consistency of cream whipped to soft peaks.
- Refrigeraye for 1-2h or until thickened.
Crunchy Smoked Beet Sandwich
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 8 slices of sourdough or rye bread
- Baked beets
- Marinated herbs
- Whipped smoked feta
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small head of lettuce
- Toast bread to desired level.
- Thinly slice the celery stalk into 1mm thick pieces.
- Thinly slice the lettuce.
- Toss the lettuce and celery in the marinated herbs.
- Spread the whipped feta over the bread.
- Add the beets and top with greens.
- Enjoy with a glass of Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Ivory Label Cabernet Sauvignon.