Hummus seems like a tough snack to make, but if you’ve got a little time and a food processor, you can make something truly delicious!
Traditionally, hummus is made with chickpeas, but I used a low-carb alternative: cauliflower.I also added toasted seeds to give it a nice depth of flavour, because toasted nuts/seeds make everything delicious.
- 1 head of cauliflower (1kg)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds (I prefer sunflower)
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn oven on to 425°F.
- Break down cauliflower into smaller and even forets, around the size of a ping pong ball.
- In a large bowl, add the avocado oil, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix
- Add the cauliflower and toss to coat evenly.
- Place the cauliflower on sheet pan and bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Allow to cool.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, toast the sunflower seeds on a sheet pan in the oven, checking every few minutes as they do burn easily.
- In a food processor (I like to use my Breville Sous-Chef), place the cauliflower, toasted sunflower seeds tahini, lemon juice and blend.
- Taste the paste and season.
- While the food processor is running, add the olive oil in a thin stream to emulsify.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning.
I enjoy my hummus to be a little bit chunkier, but if you like it really smooth, just keep the food processor going and integrate more olive oil until you’ve reached your preferred consistency!
|Calories||Fat (g)||Proteins (g)||Total Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)|
|1/4 Cup Avocado Oil||482||54.5||0||0||0||0|
|1 Tsp. Paprika||1||0||0.1||0.1||0.1|
|1 Tsp. Cumin||8||0.5||0.4||0.9||0.2||0.7|
|1 Tbsp. Coriander Seeds||15||0.9||0.6||2.7||2.1||0.6|
|1 Cup Sunflower Seeds||269||23.7||9.6||9.2||4||5.2|
|1/3 Cup Tahini||601||53.2||20.8||11.6||6.9||4.7|
|1/4 Cup Lemon Juice||15||0||0.2||5.3||0.2||5.1|
|3/4 Cup Olive Oil||1432||162||0||0||0||0|
|Per serving (divide recipe by 15)||205||20||3||6||3||3|
Drizzle some olive oil overtop and this makes for a perfect snack!
One thought on “Roasted Cauliflower Hummus”