This green juice was created to maximize the nutritious potential of every ingredient used.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 medium green apple
- 2 cups coconut water or milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 lime or lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 tsp spirulina
- Sweetner, if necessary
- Blend all the ingredients together.
Be healthy with this delicious smoothie. If you’re wondering why it’s so good for you, here are a few explanations:
- Spinach is so good for you, I don’t need to tell you that. It’s an great source of vitamin A and vitamin K. It is a good source of iron, but it’s bioavailability (what is available to be absorbed and used by the body) is very low.
- To boost it’s benefits, I’m adding lime (or lemon) to boost the absorption of the nonheme iron ( iron derived from plants) by integrating vitamin C, a reducing agent that increases the absorption of iron (as it helps it remain in its ferrous form that is absorbable).
- Chia seeds are calcium-rich, high in omega 3 polyunsaturates and packed with antioxidants and protein.
- Almond butter is considered the most nutrient-dense nut butter. It’s high in calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, vitamin E, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and iron.
- Among other things, coconut water promotes electrolyte balance and obviously hydration.
- Spirulina has just recently emerged as a superfood and for good reason. The freshwater microalgea powder, is an excellent source of vitamin A and B12, a source of thiamine (vitamin B1) and riboflavin (vitamin B2) and a god source of iron.