I bought Trader Joe’s Thai Lime & Chili Cashews last time I was in the US and was determined to replicate the flavours for two reasons: because they are delicious and because they are not available in Canada.
- 4 cups cashews
- 1 egg
- 1 pack kaffir lime leaves (approximately 50 leaves), dry
- 1-2 red thai chilis, depending on how spicy you enjoy your food
- 1 tsp onion powder*
- 1 tsp garlic powder*
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp salt
*If you use onion salt or garlic salt, reduce the salt you incorporate in the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a coffee grinder, grind the lime leaves, chili(s), onion powder, garlic powder, salt.
- Whisk the egg white into soft peaks.
- Coat the cashews with the egg whites, then add the lime-chili powder.
- Place the cashews on a baking tray and bake for 5 mins.
You can use the powder to flavour a variety of nuts or even popcorn, incorporate in curries or to use as a dry rub.