Summer weather has finally arrived and all I’m craving is roasted vegetables and greens. I thought of the best recipes to use scraps and leftovers: quiche, but made it healthier. I rustled what I could find in the house and had peppers, onions and kale to work with. So I made a savoury oat and flax crust and packed the egg filling with the vegetables and a little bit of feta for added saltiness.
Savoury oat crust
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 tbsp. flax meal
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, I use avocado oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In food processor, blend oats until almond meal consistency is reached.
- Add flax meal and season.
- Slowly add in the oil, then the cold water, scraping the sides to ensure homogenous mix (it should resemble graham cracker crust consistency).
- Press crust into a pie mould.
- Bake in oven 15-20 min until hardened, but not coloured.
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup kale chiffonade
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 inch cube feta
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- Julienne the peppers, season and bake for 10-20 mins.
- In large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add milk, thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add kale and crumbled feta.
- 6 white or yellow onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Slice onions into 2-3mm rings.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and allow to sweat for 5-10 minutes, until the onions have released their water.
- Remove lid, increase the heat and stir constantly to avoid burning the onions.