This recipe was inspired from my time living in Melbourne where heathy fast-casual restaurants were everywhere. From innovating salad bars, to the classic healthy cafe, this city really encapsulated healthy living, even for those in a hurry.
Beyond that, one of my favourite things about that city was always plating and innovative ways to elevate a dish, based on healthy combinations. This meant that integrating spices and more F&Vs into foods was normalized. If you haven’t realized it yet, Melbournians love brunch, and they do it well, and some go above and beyond to create healthy dishes.
I recall going for breakfast with a friend and ordering my usual unusual dish (as I always love exploring options that I wouldn’t find elsewhere). And thus, the breakfast panna cotta came out, plopped on the plate over a streak of a berry reduction and topped with golden granola. I remember thinking about how striking the colors of the dish were and then tried it. Bursting with flavor, the creamy panna cotta, sharp coulis and crunchy and sweet granola, this dish was to die for.
Now that I’m back in Canada, I thought I should make my own version because we know that I love granola! And so I have and did some research as to how spicing up your life can do you more good that you may think!
This golden granola gets its vibrant colour from none other than vibrant turmeric. With increasing research suggesting it have potent anti-inflammatory qualities thanks to its curcumin content, it was paired with clove and ginger. This was then combined into this beautiful, crunchy and delicious granola!
As this granola is nutritionally dense and also contains oil and maple syrup to make is crispy, I usually use it as a topping for a chia pudding breakfast, but you can use it however you like!
- ¼ cup maple syrup, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. nut butter of choice ( I use tahini)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. allspice, ground
- 2 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1/2 tsp. cloves, ground
- 1 tbsp. ginger, ground
- 2 tsp. turmeric, ground
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup cashews ( or nuts and/or seeds of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix the maple syrup, avocado oil, spices and salt until combined.
- Add the chia seeds and then the oats and nuts.
- Place on lined baking tray ( I like to use a Silpat to make sure the cooking is as even as possible and the cleanup is quicker).
- Bake until fragrant and golden brown on the edges, approximately 20-30 min or 10-15min with a convection oven.
One thought on “Golden Granola”